Brentar, Patrolman George M.


END OF WATCH:  October 10, 2007
Euclid Police Department
Age 49   |   Badge #93

Patrolman George Brentar, a 22-year veteran of the Euclid police force died Wednesday, October 10, 2007 when his car slid into a pole and caught fire on an entrance ramp to Interstate 90. He had observed a speeding motorist on North Lakeland Boulevard, just north of I-90, and was attempting to catch up to the vehicle when his car hydroplaned and the right rear end hit a pole. The car immediately burst into flames with Officer Brentar trapped inside. Two off duty Erie, Pa. police officers on their way to Cleveland observed the crash and stopped, but were unable to get close enough to pull Brentar from the burning car.

George had two great loves in his life, his family and his job. However, family was always first. His wife Linda, daughter Erika and son Michael were his main priority and the love of his life. He was a devoted and reliable officer who never missed a day of work and was nominated three times for Officer of the Year. He had recently received an Exceptional Service Award for chasing down a bank robber, a man half his age. He also received the 15 Year Safe Driving Award, the Education Achievement Award, and the “Sharpshooter” firearms award during his 22 year career.

George was born, raised and spent his life working in the City of Euclid. He truly loved the city, and was dedicated to service. He was highly respected by both his co-workers and his supervisors. In many ways George embodied what it means to be a good police officer. He was extremely hard working and thorough in everything he did. An avid outdoorsman, George was known in his Mentor neighborhood for his backyard campouts and bonfires. Brentar was one of the Euclid police officers who started the Get Hooked on Fishing Not on Drugs program which was geared toward introducing youths to the outdoors while steering them away from the drug culture invading the inner-ring suburbs.

Monday, October 15, 2007, Ptl. George Brentar was laid to rest at All Souls Cemetery in Chardon Township after a funeral service at St. Bede the Venerable Catholic Church in Mentor. George is also survived by his mother, two brother, and two sisters.

George spent the last year working in the department’s traffic division, where he excelled. A major part of his day was spent trying to get speeding motorist to slow down. He believed that the road needed to be safer for all to travel. It is tragic and ironic that we lost him in this way.

On January 22, 2008 George’s badge #93 and his car #32 were retired by the City of Euclid.

George Micahel Brentar’s name is inscribed on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. Panel 23, west wall, line 26.

By Jim Savage