To honor those who made the supreme sacrifice
The Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial Society® honors and preserves the memories of peace officers who gave their lives in the performance of service to their communities and the nation; and provides support to the families of fallen officers.
In May 2020, the Police Memorial Society sponsors the 35th Annual Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial Society Commemoration in conjunction with National Police Week and Peace Officers Memorial Day. Public events include a parade down Lakeside Avenue (“Police Memorial Way”) followed by a commemorative service at the Peace Officers Memorial.
The premier event of each year’s Commemoration is the Cleveland International Tattoo, a spectacular display of pageantry and music in the time-honored tradition of the military tattoo, with performances by the pipes & drums corps of police departments from throughout the United States and Canada, as well as US military bands, drill teams, dance and choral groups. The entire community joins together in remembrance, fellowship and celebration to salute our safety forces, our military and our country.
In addition to maintaining the Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial, the Society has pledged itself to the following goals:
- Honor all law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty.
- Provide assistance to families of officers who have died in the line of duty.
- Provide assistance to police officers seriously injured in the line of duty.
- Assist law enforcement agencies with planning and implementation of Line of Duty Death funerals.
- Increase public awareness of the hazards of the law enforcement profession.
- Improve police-community relations.
- Further the law enforcement profession by sponsoring training and humanitarian programs, as well as educational development such as the Pete Lawer Memorial Scholarship fund. Scholarship criteria…